fbpx
Articles

Statement of Leading Opposition Figures on Sisi’s Referendum

Leading Egyptian opposition figures, including those who have earlier this month launched an online campaign, ‘Batel’, to reject Abdel-Fattah Al-Sisi’s push to change the Egyptian Constitution, have today issued a statement on the regime’s recent referendum.

A number of leading Egyptian opposition figures who have earlier this month launched “Batel” (which means ‘Void’ in Arabic), an online campaign to counter-act Abdul Fattah Al-Sisi’s push to change Egypt’s Constitution, have today (Monday) issued a statement on non-recognition of the results of the referendum on Sisi’s constitutional amendments held on 19, 20, 21, 22 April 2019.

The statement said the amendments which “will allow Sisi to remain in power until 2030 without being subject to any kind of control or accountability, violates the principles of alternation of power, separation of authorities, independency of the judiciary,” adding that these changes are “granting the military institution a supra-State status instead of being the nation’s army.”

The statement said “Sisi’s machine of oppression denied the Egyptian people’s right to express their opinions, persecuted opponents, and blocked peaceful anti-amendments online campaigns, thus obstructing all possible peaceful ways for the Egyptians to express their rejection.”

The statement referred to the electoral bribes offered by the regime to Egyptians in exploitation of the public money and “taking advantage of the state of poverty experienced by needy Egyptians who have been victims of the government’s failed policie”.

In conclusion, the statement stated that signatories, “on behalf of all patriotic Egyptians” declare that:

– They do not recognize any outcome, whatever it will be, resulting from this sham referendum and consider it completely null and void, both formally and substantively.

– They believe that Egypt is now experiencing a state of constitutional crisis, after the regime destroyed any kind of legitimacy.

– They call upon all national political forces, parties and personalities to engage in a dialogue to reach a unified vision on how to address the existing constitutional vacuum and restore the democratic path through all possible peaceful means.

Following is the statement that has been released during a press conference organized today in Istanbul by leading opposition figures from across the Egyptian spectrum, and attended by various media outlets:

Statement

A statement on non-recognition of the results of the referendum on Sisi’s constitutional amendments held on 19, 20, 21, 22 April 2019

Our Egyptian people have followed with concern the procedures of the so-called “constitutional amendments” that will allow Sisi to remain in power until 2030 without being subject to any kind of control or accountability, in violation of the principles of alternation of power, separation of authorities, independency of the judiciary; in addition to granting the military institution a supra-State status instead of being the nation’s army.

The Egyptians have tried to express their rejection of this crime, whether through adoption of a positive boycott, a no vote participation, or via participation in popular campaigns in rejection of the whole process altogether. However, Sisi’s machine of oppression denied the Egyptian people’s right to express their opinions, persecuted opponents, and blocked peaceful anti-amendments online campaigns, thus obstructing all possible peaceful ways for the Egyptians to express their rejection.

The Egyptian regime also used public money to distribute electoral bribes, taking advantage of the state of poverty experienced by needy Egyptians who have been victims of the government’s failed policies. In this regard, various international media outlets and social networking sites circulated videos and photos that are offensive to the all Egyptians, making Egypt an example of oppression, poverty, failure and corruption, and reflecting a shameful and unreal image of our people who are known for their pride and dignity and who have never attempted to obtain their rights through begging or appealing.

Based on all these facts and according to the sham voting process, on behalf of all patriotic Egyptians, we declare the following:

– We do not recognize any outcome, whatever it will be, resulting from this sham referendum and consider it completely null and void, both formally and substantively.

– We believe that Egypt is now experiencing a state of constitutional crisis, after the regime destroyed any kind of legitimacy.

– We call upon all national political forces, parties and personalities to engage in a dialogue to reach a unified vision on how to address the existing constitutional vacuum and restore the democratic path through all possible peaceful means.

                  May God save the people, land and status of Egypt!

keywords
NEWS Tab
Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close